Skip to main content

Curry Turkey Burgers with Thai Slaw

Over the past year we've learned that Christian seems to have more stomach issues with ground beef so we have been steering away from as much as possible.  A great alternative is ground turkey.  The one thing that we've learned is that ground turkey is rather bland and needs lots of seasoning to make it tasty.  So last week I dug through my recipes in search of some bold ground turkey recipes and got my game plan together.  Then I stopped by Costco and picked up a bulk package of ground turkey.

I have things down to a system now... I pick out the recipes, do the grocery shopping and then hand it over to Millard who puts it all together.  He made up the a few different burgers and meatballs, packaged them up and stuck them in the freezer... ready for me to take out and cook when I need them.  It makes life so much easier and is possibly just as quick as a fast food pit stop.

To the left is the Curry Turkey Burger with Thai Slaw that we had last week.  The burger recipe was Millard's own concoction and was full of flavor. I topped them with lettuce, tomato and American cheese.  I also made a curry-mango chutney mayo to go on mine and Millard's.  The sauce was great, but a little strong so be careful!    
Curry-Mango Mayo
4 T Mayo (or 2 T Mayo + 2 T Yogurt)
1 T Mango Chutney
1/2 t Curry

The Thai Slaw complimented the burger nicely.  The idea and recipe came from Rachel Ray.  The recipe called for shredded cabbage coleslaw mix from the produce section, but instead I used my head of cabbage and baby carrots.  I sliced them very thinly and then put the recipe together and tossed it in the fridge for a few hours.  I chopped peanuts and put stored them separately to sprinkle on top during plating.

I am always thinking and planning ahead so while I had the cabbage out I went ahead and used my box shredder to shred up my cabbage and carrots for coleslaw for an upcoming meal.  This way it'll make another meal that much quicker and easier to prepare.

Alexander is my picky eater, but he absolutely LOVES anything that includes ground turkey.  Here he is with his burger almost all gone.  The smile says it all!

Overall, the meal was tasty and we all enjoyed it.  It felt nice and light and, apart from my acid reflux from the mayo, we will make these again.  However, I think I'll try a different mayo next time.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grilled Buttermilk Chicken w/ Salad

I am always looking for new recipes and last month my cousin emailed me the link to Grilled Buttermilk Chicken. I've had fried chicken soaked in buttermilk before, but this was a leaner idea. It was very easy. Saturday morning I arranged the chicken in a shallow baking dish and marinaded them in the buttermilk mixture. I turned them occasionally until dinner time. Then Millard took care of the grilling. They turned out nice. I didn`t use as much garlic as was called for, but perhaps I could`ve. Grilled Buttermilk Chicken Serves 8 Hands-On Time: 10m Total Time: 1hr 50m Ingredients 1 1/2 cups buttermilk 8 cloves garlic, chopped 1 tablespoon paprika kosher salt and black pepper 6 pounds bone-in chicken pieces Directions In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, garlic, paprika, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ¾ teaspoon pepper. Divide the buttermilk mixture and chicken between 2 large resealable plastic bags. Let marinate in the refrigerator, turning the bags o

Chocolate Pudding with Strawberries

Today was grocery day.  I shopped the sales fliers and came home with some lovely looking strawberries.  I knew they would go great with the Fat Free Jello Pudding that we already had in the pantry.  I prepared the pudding with 1% milk and spooned 1/2 cup into each dessert dish.  I washed and sliced the strawberries and layered them on top and lastly added a heaping tablespoon of cool whip on top.  A very simple and low fat, low cal dessert and oh boy was it ever delicious!  For dinner we had Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Coleslaw.  We tried Renee's Salad Dressing for the first time tonight and it was very good.  Overall our meal was about 4 carbs which was perfect!  

Aztec Blend

I was at the Bulk Barn last week and decided to try out one of their rice blends. It is Aztec Blend #1656. It includes colusari red rice, long grain brown rice, split peas, and amaranth. I had no idea what some of those ingredients were but figured anything's worth a try, right? When I got home I looked up colusari rice & amaranth. Colusari rice is a burgundy-colored chewy rice that has a light nutty-popcorn-like flavor and amaranth is actually an herb. It was very simple to prepare & actually pretty good. The peas were a little crunchy which added nice texture. I was surprised that both kids really liked it.